Cat got your....yarn?

Love the random, proper grammar optional

12.10.2006

Whewf!

I made it through the end of finals week, just barely.

I have come to the conclusion that people typically have one of three main reactions to my obsession with knitting.

1. How quaint...
This particular reaction irks me because I hold knitting in a high regard. They may not understand why I would want to spend hours throwing yarn around, but they don't have to belittle my passion. It used to be that people looked down on knitting as antiquated and out-dated. Luckily, with the new surge in popularity, this reaction is rare. Who knew I would be a trend-setter (yeah right)?

2. That looks so hard, do you think I could learn?
Well, I am hear to tell you that there are two basic techniques in knitting, the knit stitch and the purl stitch. With those, you can master anything. (I sound like some sappy after school special.) But the truth of the matter is that if I can coordinate myself enough to knit, anyone can. Some days, I am as clumsy as they come.

3. Can you make me/my dog/this girl I know down the street something? Yes, yes and yes. I have started knitting socks because no one can have too many pairs of knitted socks. Otherwise, I give my knitting away to homeless shelters, or anyone else that will take it. Knitting is a delicious hobby, but family members can only use so many scarves, mittens, fingerless gloves, ponchos, ect. As soon as I graduate to knitting beautifully hand crafted sweaters, I will not have this problem anymore because everyone needs a new sweater at Christmas.

Anyway, this whole topic came about because I usually like to knit or crochet gifts for Christmas. This year though, people have asked me to make things for them or for others they know. This is such a compliment to me. It is fun to think that people like my knitting so much that they would be willing to give it as a gift! I am also excited to be knitting with a purpose. This helps me stay dedicated to a project, otherwise I tend to get distracted and end up with a bazillion UFO's.

Here is what is on the docket so far for Christmas vacation:
1. Hat for Alec... He is trading me for a baked good of some sort.
2. Mittens for Taylor, commissioned by Aunt Shirley
3. Shawl for Great Grams, also commissioned by Aunt Shirley
4. Dog Jacket for Leigh's dog, which is smaller than a water bottle. (this should take all of 5 minutes).
5. Snowflake X-mas ornaments for people I don't know what else to get. :-)
6. Whatever else I feel like knitting.

I will keep you all informed, but right now I am working on the Hat for Alec. It is just a boring 2x2 ribbed hat, but I hope he will like it. Super soft and warm. The yarn is from Alaska! I'll post a progress picture once I get home (I'm at work right now).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home