Cat got your....yarn?

Love the random, proper grammar optional

6.02.2006

Congrats...to me!

Why Celebrate? Not just because the balloon says so, but I have to start at the beginning of the saga.

Yesterday was The Big Day. I was going to turn in all the paperwork so that I would be put on the payroll over at the vet hospital. For everyone that didn't know, I had been volunteering in the radiology department there since I graduated in December. While I love to give back to the community, I could no longer volunteer 25 hours a week, I needed a second summer job. Well, I filled out all the paper work; there was a whole packet full of worksheets. Handing the papers to the woman in the office, we were having a polite conversation where it came up that I was not currently a student.

"Well, when did you graduate."
"December"
"Oh, then we can't hire you."

Apparently, you have to be a student, or one quarter before or after student-dom. Well, that sucks. I did the only thing I could think of. I went home and cried. Well, this morning I went back in and told my boss that while I was very reluctant to leave, I couldn't stay anymore if I wasn't going to get paid. Since I didn't think I could get paid, it would be shortly that I would be leaving.

Lo and behold, my boss went down to the payroll office to "figure things out." After a while he comes running down the hall, dialing the phone and handing it to me. Ask for Greg, he has been waiting to talk to you.

"Hi, uh, is Greg there? This is Kristen ------- and he has been waiting to speak with me."
"Hi, Kristen! We have been trying to contact you about being admitted to vet school in the fall."
Holy...bleep (I even bleep myself in my head, hehe)

Since I am going to be a student in the fall now, I can get that job at the vet hospital. (Class of 2010 baby!)

So, in a matter of ~18 hours, I went from thinking I needed to leave the place I love to having a) a much needed second job for summer and b) a place in vet school. I was so sad yesterday and I am nearly bubbling over with excitement today!

Of course, I spent most of my first paid day in Radiology calling my mom, and Dave and emailing everyone I know to let them know about getting into vet school. When I got to work in the afternoon, my boss at the Newman Center had bought me that cute cute balloon and this delectable treat:

Go me!!!

1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babygirl, we are all so proud we could bust! love, auntie-gramma(see if you can guess who I am!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home