Cat got your....yarn?

Love the random, proper grammar optional

7.21.2005

Hats galore

As I said in one of the first posts, I have been making a lot of hats as side projects. They are really my go-to project when my current adventure isn't going so well, or basically when I am bored. I thought (being the modest person that I am, ahem) I would show them off.


This is one of the first hats I made. It is made with some 100% acrylic yarn (yeah, I am too poor to be a yarn snob). The color combination makes me think it should be part of wardrobe on The Grinch. The size is almost perfect, although the ribbing makes it want to slip off your head. It would be better fitted to a child size head, slightly smaller than my own.



This is a later hat that I made earlier this year. The yarn, yet another acrylic was purchased by my boyfriend, Dave. He is so amazing that he goes, on a semi-regular basis to the local Yarn Shop (http://www.yarnshop.net/). The owners know him, and he did a great job picking out this colorway. The pattern, although it is hard to see in this picture, is a mock cable/lace pattern out of Creative Knitting. The pattern in the magazine was for socks, but I'm still not good at making socks yet. I get done with the first one, and don't want to move on to the second one. Oh, and this hat is perfectly sized! I love it. Although the curling at the lower edge was accidental, I think it looks cute when you put it on. I have since then learned how to prevent curling, but sometimes it is still nice to have a curled edge.



This is a later hat. I bet you can't guess what the yarn is, it starts with an a and rhymes with, well...hmm, yeah- nothing, but you get the idea. The pattern was supposed to be vertical stripes with yarn overs in between. Apparently, as you can see, I counted wrong, but I liked the effect so much that I kept it. The purple stripe is the result of worrying about running out of yellow. I think it adds a lot to the piece, though, and I'm glad I included it. The size is slightly big on me, but I have a small-ish head.

So, this is part of my stash of hats. As I've said before I plan to donate a bunch to either the Cancer hospital here, or a group that provides for underprivileged families here in the city. I have wondered, however, if selling them and giving the money to charity would be more beneficial. Let me know what you think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home